Friday, December 29, 2006

The 100 Greatest Songs of the 1970s, Epilogue.

Okay, let’s get this out of the way first.

I Can’t Believe I Didn’t Include Them, Either:

Funkadelic
Can
Frank Zappa
John Lennon
Joni Mitchell
The Modern Lovers
The New York Dolls
Isaac Hayes
Syd Barrett
Elton John
Brian Eno
Miles Davis
Willie Nelson
Marianne Faithfull
Harry Nilsson
Richard & Linda Thompson
Emmylou Harris
Lee “Scratch” Perry (all non-Marley reggae, in fact)
Leonard Cohen
The Stooges
The Jackson Five
Leon Redbone
Fela Kuti
George Jones
10cc
Ian Dury
Wire
Père Ubu
Loretta Lynn
Devo
Steve Reich
War
AC/DC
Gong

Beyond that?

Huzzah! I’m done!

And I’d be lying if I said I hadn’t already sketched out drafts for a 90s list, an 80s list, a 50s list, and a 20s list, but there’s another music-writing project I want to get to in the meantime, and
both I and my boss think I need to get more sleep.

Enjoy the new year, everyone, until something happens which makes it just another year.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You also left out Cheap Trick. But your #1 pick was spot-on. Nice list.